Optical coherence tomography (OCT) is an important diagnostic tool in ophthalmology. The London Clinic Eye Centre has the latest, most sophisticated optical coherence tomography system, the Heidelberg Spectralis.
The major application of optical coherence tomography is for diagnosing and monitoring retinal disease. It is completely non-invasive; there are no probes or needles and examination by an OCT machine is not at all uncomfortable.
Optical coherence tomography produces detailed cross-sectional maps of the retina, which shows if there are areas of swelling. Retinal diseases that commonly cause retinal swelling include:
- Diabetic retinopathy, which leads to diabetic macular oedema – swelling of the retina at the macula. This crucial point on the retina has the highest concentration of photoreceptor cells and gives us our most detailed focus and vision.
- Retinal vein occlusion, which also leads to macular oedema.
- Age-related macular degeneration, particularly the wet form, in which abnormal blood vessels start to invade the retina.
Optical coherence tomography can also help diagnose:
- Macular swelling and oedema due to any other underlying cause.
- Damage to the optic nerve, such as what might occur in advanced glaucoma.
- The development of choroidal neovascularisation (abnormal new blood vessels) or pre-retinal membranes (abnormal cell layers in front of the retina).
- The appearance of holes in the macula.
If you have optical coherence tomography at the eye centre, this is always done in close association with your consultant, who will have very fast access to the results, and will then be able to move quickly to advise you of your treatment options.
Why choose The London Clinic
Excellence in one place
We operate as teams of experts with world-class resources dedicated to maintaining the highest standards of medical care. You are surrounded by the latest treatments and advice with everything you need to get back to your best health.
Personal care, every time
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for us. Our nurses, clinicians and support teams are dedicated to the care of a very small number of patients, so have more time for you. They’ll be with you every step of the way, tailoring your care around you and giving the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best hands.
We work together as one to guide you through each step of your experience, with complexities unravelled and answers readily to hand. Your personal treatment plan will be laid out for you, with all the details taken care of so you can focus on you.
What's included in your package?
Choosing The London Clinic means your treatment plan will be laid out for you, with all the details taken care of so you can focus on you.
Your treatment package will include:
- Enhanced pre-admission assessment
- Your treatment with our complete care team at your fingertips
- Personalised aftercare and follow-up
We want you to be in control of your health. That’s why we also offer optional services such as comprehensive recovery packages and extra touches for you to choose from during your stay with us.
How to pay
- You can use private medical insurance (PMI) to access this treatment. We work with all major PMI providers in the UK and many internationally
- You can pay for yourself (self-pay)
- If you’re paying for yourself, we have finance options available with Chrysalis