Dr Robin Chatterjee
Dr Robin Chatterjee is a Consultant in Musculoskeletal, Sport & Exercise Medicine. He specialises in bone, muscle & joint pain of unknown cause. He is experienced in sport and dance related injuries; explores the role of sleep, hormones, stress, nutrition and physical activity in pain using both traditional and cutting edge regenerative techniques.
An exercise prescription for weight management is an individually tailored weight and physical activity programme.
7 consultants available
Exercise therapy is used for rehabilitation after injury, prevention from further injury and for the management of pain.
6 consultants available
Hyaluronic acid knee and hip injections for pain
Our specialist orthopaedic surgeons draw on years of experience to offer hyaluronic acid knee and hip injections for pain
5 consultants available
Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP)
The procedure involves taking the patient’s blood and concentrating the levels of platelets and growth factors to promote healing in injured tissue.
6 consultants available
these injections, which promote ligamentous growth, help stabilise the spine and work hand in glove with a rehabilitation programme.
3 consultants available
ESWT is a non invasive, non surgical, drug free procedure for the treatment of chronic (long term) tendon pain. A shockwave is an acoustic energy wave.
4 consultants available
Dr Chatterjee has trained in Musculoskeletal, Sport & Exercise Medicine in various prestigious establishments such as Charing Cross Hospital, Queen Mary University of London, the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital and Hammersmith Hospital.
Prior to his career as a specialist, Dr Chatterjee worked as a qualified GP, in emergency medicine, anaesthetics and intensive care medicine for a number of years both in the UK and Australia.
He is the peer elected General Secretary of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine (BASEM) and also on the research committee of the European College of Sport & Exercise Physicians (ECOSEP).
- Consultant in Musculoskeletal Medicine
St George's NHS University Foundation Trust
- Lead Academy Doctor
West Ham United Football Club
- Sport & Exercise Medicine Pitchside Physician
London Broncos Rugby Football League Club
- London Deanery Sport & Exercise Medicine Higher Specialist Training Programme
Queen Mary University of London
- Visiting lecturer in Sport & Exercise Medicine
London Deanery Sport & Exercise Medicine training programme
- Musculoskeletal pain of unknown cause
- Sports and dance injuries
- Diagnostic ultrasonography and ultrasound guided injections
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- BASEM Travelling Fellowship awarded for furthering education and research into musculoskeletal pain of unknown cause and functional medicine, February 2019
- BASEM External meeting sponsorship award given for attendance of cadaveric musculoskeletal ultrasound guided injection course, October 2018
- 3rd most read and downloaded research study in the British Journal of General Practice in 2017. The study was on GPs' knowledge, use and confidence of national physical activity guidelines
- Dr Vivien Lane Foundation Scholarship for ground breaking research in low vitamin D levels as a cause of non-specific chronic low back pain, June 2016
- AXA PPP Healthcare award given for innovative research looking at mechanisms behind the release of alkaline phosphatase from osteoblasts, January 2004
- Year qualified 2004
- University of Liverpool (MBChB) 1998-2003
- University of Liverpool (MMedSci) 2003-2004
Rehabilitating a musculoskeletal (MSK) problem is a complex issue; an individualised programme involving several stages, and several healthcare professionals is needed.
Authors: Robin Chatterjee, Stephanie Hemmings, Markus Laupheimer
Published by: International Musculoskeletal Medicine
Authors: Robin Chatterjee, Jay Vyas
Published by: British Medical Journal Case Reports
Authors: Robin Chatterjee, Nikos Malliaropoulos, Nat Padhiar
Published by: Journal of Musculoskeletal Research
Publications and research interests
- Low vitamin D as a cause of low back pain
- Mental health in sport
- Physical activity guidelines
- Intersection syndrome as a cause of wrist pain
- Plantar plate tear as a cause of foot pain
- Parsonage Turner Syndrome causing shoulder pain
- Elbow and heel pain of unknown cause
- Chronic Exertional Compartment syndrome as a cause of leg pain
Outside of work, Dr Robin Chatterjee is a devoted husband and father, PADI certified diver, keen amateur cook and avid Liverpool supporter!