What is Post-COVID-19 syndrome?
Post-COVID-19 Syndrome - also known as 'Long COVID' - is the term used to describe the condition experienced by people who have had COVID-19 and are suffering with connected symptoms 12 or more weeks later.
Approximately 1 in 10 people who test positive with COVID-19 go on to suffer with Post-COVID-19 Syndrome.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE Post Covid 19 Syndrome?
Sufferers report a wide range of symptoms, which can come and go in phases. These are known to include:
- Respiratory symptoms and conditions such as chronic cough, shortness of breath, lung inflammation and fibrosis, and pulmonary vascular disease
- Cardiovascular symptoms and disease such as chest tightness, acute myocarditis and heart failure
- Protracted loss of, or change in, smell and taste
- Mental health problems including depression, anxiety and cognitive difficulties
- Inflammatory disorders such as myalgia and multisystem inflammatory syndrome
- Gastrointestinal disturbance with diarrhoea
- Continuing headaches
- Fatigue, weakness and sleeplessness
- Liver and kidney dysfunction
- Clotting disorders and thrombosis
- Skin rashes
How is Post-COVID-19 syndrome diaGNosed?
A consultation with a GP or another medical professional will confirm if you are suffering from Post-COVID-19 Syndrome. They will ask you questions about your symptoms, together with your medical history and make an informed diagnosis to guide your individual treatment plan.
Treatment at The London Clinic
We offer a holistic approach for anyone suffering from Post-COVID-19 Syndrome, designed to meet your individualised care needs. The benefits of our approach include:
Rapid access to our range of services
- A full review of your symptoms and needs from one of our dedicated clinicians
- Clear signposting to ensure you receive the tailored treatment that's right for you, whether that's further assessment, diagnostic testing and investigation or therapy services.
The treatment we provide to you will depend on your initial assessment, which will most likely be a full medical assessment with a GP. The referral made by your GP will be screened by a multi-disciplinary team (MDT).
Further diagnostic tests will be run to decide if you should be treated as an outpatient or an inpatient. If you are admitted to the hospital as an inpatient, we will ensure that you are under the care of the most appropriate consultant for your needs.
A range of specialist therapy areas are also available such as:
- Aquatic therapy, which takes place in our state of the art hydrotherapy pool
- Physiotherapy, which makes use of our fully equipped gym
- Dietetics, for bespoke nutritional advice based on your circumstances
- Occupational therapy which improves your ability to complete every day tasks and retain your independence
- Speech and language therapy, which can treat difficulties with communication, eating, drinking or swallowing
- Psychological therapy, which allows a safe and confidential space to explore your difficulties with a trained therapist in a supportive, non judgemental environment
- Complimentary therapy is also available to support your conventional medical treatment. Many therapies are available and aid with relaxation, aiming to reduce stress, improve mood and your quality of life.
GP services At the London CLINIC
If you would like to speak to a GP about any ongoing issues as a result of COVID, we have an experienced team of private General Practitioners (GPs) available every weekday. Our on-site GPs can offer you the speed and flexibility you need, exactly when you need it. We will aim to book your appointment for the next day, and may even be able to see you the same day. Alternatively you can ask your regular GP to refer you to us.
Why choose The London Clinic?
The London Clinic is dedicated to providing the best, personalised healthcare with over 600 world-renowned consultants available to offer informed health advice and treatment.
Spanning Harley Street and Devonshire Place, The London Clinic is situated in the heart of London’s internationally-known medical district. This central location, together with state-of-the art technologies and facilities that are not widely available in other hospitals, makes The London Clinic the hospital of choice for around 120,000 patients every year.
Offering affordable and competitive self-pay packages and expert support from Clinical Nurse Specialists and our specialised multidisciplinary team, over 98% of our patients said they would recommend The London Clinic to their friends and families.
Patients have the option to spread the cost of treatment with Chrysalis Finance.
Please call +44 (0)20 3613 7502 to speak to our helpful team to find out more and to book an appointment.
Important note: If paying via your medical insurance, please speak to your insurer to confirm that they will cover COVID-19 rehabilitation.
Make a Self-Pay enquiry
General enquiries: 020 7935 4444 Appointments: 020 7616 7693 Self-Pay: 020 3219 3315
Your call may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.