Femoroacetabular impingement treatment
Femoroacetabular impingement can be treated using preventive measures to stop the underlying structural abnormalities in the hip joint causing osteoarthritis. Once arthritic changes have already started, the main option is hip replacement surgery.
Early treatments for femoroacetabular impingement
There are several surgical treatment options that can reduce symptoms, depending on the source of the pain:
- A torn labrum (the cartilage at the rim of the hip) can be treated by trimming away some of the loose edges. In some patients it may have come completely loose and needs to be reattached to the back of the bony rim of the acetabulum.
- Articular cartilage damage can be removed but if there is exposed bone, this may need further repair.
- Exposed bone is treated by making a series of tiny holes in it to stimulate repair of the cartilage, which is known as a microfracture technique.
Underlying hip abnormality additional treatment
If the patient has a cam deformity, when the head of the femur is misshapen, we can trim the bone away to make the head smoother and rounder. This is done by burring away the bone so that it can move much more easily within the hip joint.
In many patients, correcting the underlying problem can be done in the same operation as one to repair the labrum, cartilage or bone.
Hip replacement in young adults with femoroacetabular impingement
Once the hip joint has become damaged to such an extent that arthritic changes have occurred, early stage treatments are no longer effective. The best option for the patient is then to wait until they feel their symptoms have progressed to such a stage that they would like to have a hip replacement.
Patients are able to cope with mild to moderate pain for several years, maintaining good activity, and opt for surgery only when the pain increases or they start to feel that their activity is being curtailed.
Why choose The London Clinic
Excellence in one place
We operate as teams of experts with world-class resources dedicated to maintaining the highest standards of medical care. You are surrounded by the latest treatments and advice with everything you need to get back to your best health.
Personal care, every time
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for us. Our nurses, clinicians and support teams are dedicated to the care of a very small number of patients, so have more time for you. They’ll be with you every step of the way, tailoring your care around you and giving the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best hands.
We work together as one to guide you through each step of your experience, with complexities unravelled and answers readily to hand. Your personal treatment plan will be laid out for you, with all the details taken care of so you can focus on you.
What's included in your package?
Choosing The London Clinic means your treatment plan will be laid out for you, with all the details taken care of so you can focus on you.
Your treatment package will include:
- Enhanced pre-admission assessment
- Your treatment with our complete care team at your fingertips
- Personalised aftercare and follow-up
We want you to be in control of your health. That’s why we also offer optional services such as comprehensive recovery packages and extra touches for you to choose from during your stay with us.
How to pay
- You can use private medical insurance (PMI) to access this treatment. We work with all major PMI providers in the UK and many internationally
- You can pay for yourself (self-pay)
- If you’re paying for yourself, we have finance options available with Chrysalis