As with many skin diseases, the initial consultation is crucial to identifying triggers that make your condition worse.
The London Clinic offers a wide range of medical treatments for eczema that can help when you experience eczema flare-ups.
These reduce inflammation, calming the skin so that it can heal more effectively, and killing the bacteria that cause eczema infections.
The main types of eczema treatment include:
- Emollient treatments moisturise the skin and reduce the itching sensation. These treatments can be applied as a soothing cream, an ointment in dry areas or as a lotion for the scalp.
- Steroid treatments for eczema, also known as corticosteroids, can help to reduce the inflammation during a flare-up; however, these do have side effects and must not be used too often or for too long.
- Antihistamine treatments for eczema can help to reduce the itching during a flare-up, so preventing further damage and infection.
Phototherapy for eczema
Phototherapy eczema treatment offers an alternative to steroids and other drugs. It involves the exposure of specific frequencies of ultraviolet (UV) light to subdue the skin’s inflammation that occurs during an eczema flare-up.
Phototherapy for eczema reduces the need for steroids and kills some of the bacteria that infect eczema sites.
Most people need three phototherapy treatments sessions per week for a short length of time.
As there are some risks linked to UV light exposure, patients cannot have this treatment administered regularly.
Phototherapy can also be delivered in combination with photosensitive drugs, such as psoralen, using UVA wavelengths. This is known as chemophototherapy or PUVA.
Why choose The London Clinic
Excellence in one place
We operate as teams of experts with world-class resources dedicated to maintaining the highest standards of medical care. You are surrounded by the latest treatments and advice with everything you need to get back to your best health.
Personal care, every time
Exceptional patient care is a way of life for us. Our nurses, clinicians and support teams are dedicated to the care of a very small number of patients, so have more time for you. They’ll be with you every step of the way, tailoring your care around you and giving the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing you’re in the best hands.
We work together as one to guide you through each step of your experience, with complexities unravelled and answers readily to hand. Your personal treatment plan will be laid out for you, with all the details taken care of so you can focus on you.
What's included in your package?
Choosing The London Clinic means your treatment plan will be laid out for you, with all the details taken care of so you can focus on you.
Your treatment package will include:
- Enhanced pre-admission assessment
- Your treatment with our complete care team at your fingertips
- Personalised aftercare and follow-up
We want you to be in control of your health. That’s why we also offer optional services such as comprehensive recovery packages and extra touches for you to choose from during your stay with us.
How to pay
- You can use private medical insurance (PMI) to access this treatment. We work with all major PMI providers in the UK and many internationally
- You can pay for yourself (self-pay)
- If you’re paying for yourself, we have finance options available with Chrysalis