Critical care at The London Clinic
The London Clinic Intensive Care Unit (ICU) provides specialised compassionate care for critically ill and post-operative patients with complex conditions and needs.
Supported by a dedicated team of specialist ICU Consultants, PHD level Specialist ICU Registrars, Nurses and Allied Health Professionals, we pride ourselves at placing the patient at the centre of the care we provide.
The ICU was redesigned with an environmental input from the Royal College of Art in a manner supporting excellent care and recovery of those suffering from critical illnesses or complex surgery in a clinically conducive environment.
It consists of 13 single rooms (five with en-suite bathrooms) showcasing sophisticated medical technology to provide a pleasant critical care environment while our Clinical Information Systems provide our Consultants and the multi-disciplinary team with all they need to look after you.
We know it can be daunting coming into the ICU, especially when English is not your first language, so with ICUsteps you can download patient information in 18 languages.
The facilities at the Intensive Care Unit include:
- 13 spacious individual patient rooms of which five have ensuite facilities with windows providing natural light
- A sophisticated airflow system throughout and four isolation rooms to protect patients with compromised immune systems or those who are vulnerable to infection
- Nursing stations outside every room so patients can be monitored and cared for without being disturbed
- Smart glass technology which can switch from transparent to opaque with the press of a button – giving privacy to our patients, their friends and family
- Sophisticated lighting which can be dimmed along with offering a choice of different colours to suit each individual patient
- Televisions in every room with wireless connectivity including a patient entertainment system which can provide a stimulating environment so patients can enjoy pictures or videos of their favourite pastimes or from their friends and family
- A joint project with the Royal College of Arts in which a beautiful mirage was created to provide a calming environment.
- Modern ICU facilities contain infectious diseases and the Clinic has the newest modern technology in their side rooms which help avoid cross-contamination.
- Infection rates are very low and are contained to individuals, as we monitor and review all Hospital Acquired Infections. Local practices support any infections control challenges and we have achieved zero contamination within the unit.
- Our Standard Mortality Rate averages around 0.7 which the Critical care Peer Review states ‘would put the unit in the top 10% of the country’ and has consistently maintained low death rates all of which are reviewed at Mortality and Morbidity Meetings within the Clinic.
- Patient Experience feedback continues to demonstrate 95-100% satisfaction with their treatment across the MDT with numerous comments and compliments mentioning excellence in staff attitude, caring, compassionate, along with recognition of speciality surgical support and rehabilitation.
- Comprehensive Audit programme with proactive Quality Improvements aiming for continual improvements to care and experience.
"In many ways this unit is an exemplar unit, showing what can be achieved with vision and drive. The new unit is well designed, and we were told that they had been visited by several other units in the process of designing new units in order to gain ideas."
"The unit seems enormously happy. The staff liked working there, because they were valued, and they were allowed and encouraged to do a good job, and also there now seemed to be a culture of encouraging staff to develop and implement improvements, increasing the team spirit."
"This is a beautiful unit, with natural light in every (single) bed space. It is obvious that considerable thought went into designing a unit that has as far as possible a welcoming environment. The key design features improved privacy and noise issues with single rooms. Natural light was increased and sightlines into rooms maximised"
"The patients we spoke with told us that they found the staff to be respectful, helpful, and professional and had a good attitude. They said that the care they received was amazing and that they couldn’t find fault with it. The facilities we visited for relatives were spacious, nicely decorated, had natural light and access to fresh air."