Mr Shaw Somers
Shaw specialises in upper gastrointestinal surgery and has an extensive experience of complex upper gut surgery. He is senior clinician in the regional upper gastrointestinal cancer service in Hampshire, and is a leading laparoscopic surgery specialist. He has led the evolution of bariatric surgery in the UK and has a personal experience of over 3000 bariatric operations.
Our specialist consultants draw on years of experience to offer the gastric balloon - an innovative treatment to help you lose weight without surgery.
1 consultant available
A gastric band is intermediate between the gastric balloon and more extensive bariatric surgery
3 consultants available
A gastric bypass separates off a major part of the stomach, creating a small stomach pouch that reduces the amount of food you can eat
2 consultants available
Heartburn and gastro-oesophageal treatments
At The London Clinic we provide a private heartburn treatment service.
13 consultants available
Advanced surgery for groin and abdominal hernias. Our fixed price packages offer a seamless service at The London Clinic.
19 consultants available
Shaw Somers has been an NHS consultant surgeon since 1996. Before this, he has been senior lecturer and honorary consultant at St James’ University Hospital in Leeds, West Yorkshire and Associate Professor at The Prince of Wales Hospital in Hong Kong (1995-6).
Shaw specialises in upper gastrointestinal surgery and has an extensive experience of complex upper gut surgery. He is senior clinician in the regional upper gastrointestinal cancer service in Hampshire, and is a leading laparoscopic surgery specialist.
He has a personal experience of over 3000 bariatric operations, and is a leader in the evolution of bariatric surgery in the UK. Shaw is past president of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (2017-2019), and now advises the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity.
In addition, Shaw is Discovery TV’s ‘Fat Doctor’, and has appeared in many TV programmes such as 'Food Hospital' (Ch4) and Embarrassing Bodies as a surgical expert.
- Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon (part-time)
Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
- Hiatus hernia
- Acid reflux
- Abdominal and groin hernia
- Oesophagogastric disorders
- Complex and re-operative surgery
- Revision bariatric surgery
- Salvage surgery
- Bariatric-metabolic surgery
- Ward prize in Surgical Anatomy 1986
- Mayo Robson prize in Surgical Anatomy 1986
- Ferns Prize (top in primary FRCS), Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1988
- Sterling Oncology Young Investigator of the Year 1990
- Hunterian Professorship, Royal College of Surgeons of England 1994
- Visiting Lecturer, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2016
- Year qualified 1986
- University of Leeds 1980 - 1986