Specialties and sub-specialties
Shaw Somers has been an NHS consultant surgeon since 1996. Before this, he has been senior lecturer and honorary consultant at St James’ University Hospital in Leeds, West Yorkshire and Associate Professor at The Prince of Wales Hospital in Hong Kong (1995-6).
Shaw specialises in upper gastrointestinal surgery and has an extensive experience of complex upper gut surgery. He is senior clinician in the regional upper gastrointestinal cancer service in Hampshire, and is a leading laparoscopic surgery specialist.
He has a personal experience of over 3000 bariatric operations, and is a leader in the evolution of bariatric surgery in the UK. Shaw is past president of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society 2017-2019), and now advises the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity.
In addition, Shaw is Discovery TV’s ‘Fat Doctor’, and has appeared in many TV programmes such as 'Food Hospital' (Ch4) and Embarrassing Bodies as a surgical expert.
- Hiatus Hernia, Acid Reflux, Gallbladder Surgery, Groin Hernia, Abdominal Hernia, Oesophagogastric disorders, Complex and re-operative Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery, Revision Bariatric Surgery, Salvage surgery
- Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon (part-time)
Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Awards and accolades
- Ward prize in Surgical Anatomy 1986
- Mayo Robson prize in Surgical Anatomy 1986
- Ferns Prize (top in primary FRCS), Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1988
- Sterling Oncology Young Investigator of the Year 1990
- Hunterian Professorship, Royal College of Surgeons of England 1994
- Visiting Lecturer, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2016
- University of Leeds 1980 - 1986
When I am not enjoying my work, my wife will sometimes permit me to:
- Play guitar
- Play with my fountain pen collection
- Collect wild mushrooms
- Discover more Italian wines
- Accompany her on long walks
General enquiries: 020 7935 4444 Appointments: 020 7616 7693 Self-Pay: 020 3219 3315
Your call may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.