Specialties and sub-specialties
Mr Ratnarajan is a Consultant Glaucoma, Cataract and Anterior segment surgeon at the prestigious Eye Unit and Eye Bank at Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead where he leads the glaucoma unit and runs a fellowship program.
Through Innovation and Excellence Mr Ratnarajan’s has improved the quality of care and treatment options available to cataract and glaucoma patients both nationally and internationally. Mr Ratnarajan’s clinic work and research has won numerous international awards and he receives referrals nationally for complex cataract and glaucoma management. Mr Ratnarajan’s innovative approach to treating glaucoma has been broadcast by the BBC and published in the Mail on Sunday (www.gokratnarajan.com).
Mr Ratnarajan graduated from University College London and completed his Ophthalmology training in Oxford. He has completed a MD research degree in at The Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. He has completed three specialist fellowships in glaucoma and anterior segment surgery at The Oxford Eye Hospital, The Western Eye Hospital in London and the world renowned fellowship at the University of Toronto, Canada, where he has learnt and developed many new glaucoma surgeries, some of which are not available in the UK at present.
Mr Ratnarajan brings innovation in glaucoma and cataract care to the UK to help treat glaucoma patients with safer and more effective treatments.
Mr Ratnarajan takes referrals for cataract, glaucoma, ocular surface disease including dry eyes, floaters and flashes as well as general ophthalmology.
- Complex cataract as well as premium lens implants
- Specialist cataract surgery for patients with Glaucoma
Cataract surgery combined with minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) to prevent glaucoma progression and reduce the dependence on glaucoma drops.
- MIGS techniques, including
- Endoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation (ECP Laser)
- Xen gel implants
- Preserflo microshunt
Comprehensive Glaucoma care
- Glaucoma diagnosis
- Laser treatment including Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT laser to reduce dependence on drops)
- Glaucoma surgery including Trabeculectomy and Aqueous shunt implantation/Tube Surgery and the full range of MIGS.
Mr Ratnarajan’s research has won numerous international awards in the areas of:
- Glaucoma surgical innovation
- Cataract surgical innovation
- Optimising patient pathways for glaucoma and cataract care.
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon and Director of Glaucoma Department
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Awards and accolades
- NHS Clinical Excellence award 2019
- Best Paper International Congress Glaucoma Society 2018
- Royal College of Ophthalmologist’s Keeler Scholarship 2016
- Best Poster UKEGS 2015
- Gold medal UKISCRS 2015
- Best Cataract Paper UKISCRS 2015
- HCA International Foundation Grant for Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery 2015
- European Glaucoma Panel ARVO Presentation Prize, 2015
- Best of the Best Presentation ESCRS, 2012
- National Institute for Health Research Flexibility and Sustainability award, 2012
- University College London 1995 - 2005
Tuesday 9am - 5pm
Wednesday 9am - 5pm
Call or email the consultant's secretary.
General enquiries: 020 7935 4444 Appointments: 020 7616 7693 Self-Pay: 020 3219 3315
Your call may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.