Specialties and sub-specialties
Dr Justin Roe is a consultant clinical-academic and service lead, specialising in dysphagia in benign and malignant head and neck disorders. He has been employed at the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust (RMH) since 2008 and is currently a Consultant and Joint Head of the Speech and Language Therapy Department. He was also appointed as the Clinical Service Lead at the National Centre for Airway Reconstruction/Ear, Nose and Throat Service at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (ICHT) in 2016. He holds an honorary academic appointment in the Department of Surgery and Cancer at Imperial College London. Alongside these roles, Dr Roe serves on the board of the Clinical Oversight Group for the RM Partners West London Cancer Alliance.
Dr Roe is an expert practitioner in the instrumental evaluation of swallowing including videofluoroscopy and Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES). He has also undertaken training in advanced therapeutic interventions including Respiratory Muscle Strength Training and is a certified practitioner in Myofascial Release and McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Programme.
Dr Roe completed his first degree, majoring in psychology, in 1993. He qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist from City University, London in 1999. In 2005, he completed a research masters at Newcastle University with distinction. He was awarded his PhD from the Institute of Cancer Research in 2013 in which he evaluated swallowing outcomes following treatment with intensity-modulated radiotherapy for head and neck cancer.
Dr Roe is a specialist advisor to the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) in head and neck oncology and palliative care, and represents the organisation at a national level. He has also contributed to a number of key policy and position papers, acting as an expert adviser to a number of organisations, including National Institute for Clinical Excellence, Macmillan and NHS England. He was elected the Allied Health Professions Council member for the British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists in 2019.
Dr Roe’s academic work is focused on people diagnosed with head and neck cancer, airway stenosis and other complex laryngological conditions. He is involved in a number of national/multinational studies as a co-applicant, co-investigator and trial management group/ trial steering committee member. He provides academic supervision and mentorship to those completing post-graduate and doctoral level studies and has examined at doctoral level. He was recently awarded an Imperial Health Charity/ Imperial NIHR Biomedical Research Centre Post-Doctoral Fellowship which he commenced in April 2019.
As well as running education programmes in cancer rehabilitation at the Royal Marsden, Dr Roe is a Course Director for the highly evaluated Voice Therapy and Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) courses held at Imperial College London. He has also independently provided bespoke FEES training to clinical teams.
Dr Roe has served on numerous scientific committees for organisations including the United Kingdom Swallowing Research Group (UKSRG), the American Speech-Language-Hearing-Association’s (ASHA) and the British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology (BACO). He has written several book chapters and published a number of peer-reviewed papers on head and neck cancer, lung cancer, palliative care and ethical issues and has been invited to present at numerous meetings and conferences internationally.
Dr Roe has been awarded an IWantGreatCare.org award for excellence in patient care (based on real-time patient feedback) for 2 consecutive years and was made a Fellow of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists in 2018.
- Care of the head and neck cancer patient before, during and following treatment, including the management of late treatment effects
- Voice and swallowing pre- and rehabilitation following airway surgery and reconstruction
- Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) and videofluoroscopy
- Consultant and Joint Head of the Department of Speech and Language Therapy
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
- Clinical Service Lead - Airways/Complex ENT
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Imperial Health Charity/ National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Centre Post-Doctoral Fellow
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London
Current teaching posts
- Honorary Lecturer
Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial College London
- Visiting Faculty
Head and Neck Cancer Unit, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- Visiting Lecturer
Scientist Training Programme (STP): MSc Clinical Science, Newcastle University
Awards and accolades
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists – Awarded October 2018
- Imperial Health Charity/ Imperial NIHR Biomedical Research Centre Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship – Awarded March 2018
- IWantGreatCare Certificate of Excellence for Patient Care – Awarded 2018 and 2019
- Patricia McGregor Travelling Fellowship - Awarded by the NIHR Biomedical Research Centre at The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust and The Institute of Cancer Research - June 2017
- Giving Voice Award - Awarded by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, London – Awarded September 2016
- Head and Neck Cancer Alliance Award - Awarded by the Dysphagia Research Society - Awarded June 2016
- Department of Language and Communication Science, City University , London 1997 - 1999
- Department of Surgical and Reproductive Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle 2003 - 2005
- Division of Radiotherapy and Imaging, The Institute of Cancer Research, London 2009 - 2013
London W1G 6BW
Monday By appointment
Tuesday 5.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 5.30pm - 8pm
Thursday By appointment
Friday By appointment
Saturday By appointment
General enquiries: 020 7935 4444 Appointments: 020 7616 7693 Self-Pay: 020 3219 3315
Your call may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.