- Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis B
- Fatty liver, NAFLD, NASH and abnormal LFTs
- Liver cancer
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Chronic liver disease
- Early disease biomarkers
He is now the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Imperial College London.
Over the past 20 years, he has investigated pathogenic mechanisms in chronic liver disease using a combination of imaging techniques. He has a clinical and research interest in hepatic encephalopathy, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, liver cancer, cholangiocarcinoma and the effects of the hepatitis C virus on the brain.
He has over 200 publications currently.In June 1999, he received a MRC Career establishment grant for liver fibrosis. This generated industrial sponsorship from Pfizer and GSK. He holds grants from MRC (one is joint with Newcastle University), NIHR and Wellcome Trust.
He is clinically responsible for patients with liver disease at St. Mary’s Hospital (Imperial College Healthcare Trust) and is currently Director of the Imperial Clinical Research Facility, which has access to the largest cohort of viral hepatitis patients for study in Europe, in addition to well characterised patients with fatty liver disease.
He was awarded the Sir Francis Avery Jones Gold Medal by the British Society of Gastroenterology in 1999 and Linacre Lectureship of the Royal College of Physicians of London in September 2000.
- Medical training University of London (Middlesex Hospital) MB BS,1984
- Royal College of Anaesthetists, London Diploma of Anaesthesia, 1986
- Royal College of Anaesthetists, London MRCAnaes, 1987
- Royal College of Physicians of London MRCP (UK), 1989
- University of London MD, 1996
- European Fellow of Gastroenterology EUMS, 1998 (European Board of Gastroenterology)
- Royal College of Physicians of London, 2001
- Charities and affiliations American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Northern Ireland British Society of Gastroenterology
- British Association for the Study of the Liver
-European Association for the Study of the Liver
- International Society for Hepatic Encephalopathy and Nitrogen Metabolism Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Royal College of Physicians (collegiate member)
- Awards UEGW Young Investigators Award for Hepatology, 1997
- Sir Frances Avery Jones Research Gold Medal (British Society of Gastroenterology), 1999
- Linacre Lectureship (Royal College of Physicians London), 2000 -BMJ Book Awards Prize 2002 for Medicine for Mosby's Colour Atlas and Text of Gastroenterology and Liver Disease
- Sheila Sherlock Travelling Fellowship, Royal College of Physicians 2009
Consultant HepatologistImperial College Healthcare Trust (St Mary's and Hammersmith Hospitals, London)
Director of Clinical Medical Research Facility, Liver UnitImperial College Healthcare Trust (St Mary's and Hammersmith Hospitals, London)
Professor of Translational MedicineImperial College London
Dean of the Faculty of MedicineImperial College London
Middlesex Hospital, University of London1984
Treatment enquiries: +44 (0) 207 616 7693Consultant appointments: +44 (0) 207 616 7693 Prices for self funding patients: +44 (0) 203 219 3315Physiotherapy appointments: +44 (0) 207 616 7651 X-ray and scan appointments: +44 (0) 207 616 7653Invoice and payment enquiries: +44 (0) 207 616 7708